Dunwoody News Alert

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Zac Swansey pre-season profile

AJC, DeKalb, 11/16/06, by Glenn Lafollette

DUNWOODY PREVIEW: UGA signee Swansey seeks big senior season

From the story:
Dunwoody's Scott Bracco is a sharp basketball coach. With back-to-back state championships to his credit and three straight trips to the state's Final Four, the seven-year skipper knows talent when he sees it.

That's why senior Zac Swansey was so easy to notice.

"Zac's a special player," Bracco said. "During our first title run two years ago, our team, as good as it was, only allowed three players to score over 30 points on us all season. Two of them were top 50-rated players going into college. The other one was Zac."

Swansey, now the starting point guard for Dunwoody, was then playing for a 15-15 Flowery Branch team. It was the kind of team that allowed Swansey, a sophomore at the time, to roll up high numbers, including 35 points in the season-ending loss to Dunwoody. It was comfortable, but just not where Swansey wanted to be to achieve his dreams.

"I wanted to play Division I basketball, and I really wanted to play in the [Southeastern Conference]," Swansey said. "It just came down to improving my game, and to do that I had to be around better competition night in and night out. At a place like Dunwoody with coach Bracco, that's all you get. It was a perfect fit."

The move instantly turned into a positive. Swansey helped carry Dunwoody to its second consecutive state crown while leading the Wildcats in scoring with 19.2 points per game and another 6.3 assists.
and
"I knew what I was getting in Zac. I mean I saw him play," Bracco said. "We couldn't stop him. He's probably got the best midrange shot in the state, and he's easily one of the smoothest guards in the state. We just didn't know what he was going to do."

Swansey, who signed a letter-of-intent with Georgia last week, got the attention he coveted.

"I just don't think this would have happened at my old school," said Swansey, who also looked at St. Louis and Ole Miss. "I mean, I might have gotten some attention, but not like here. To be able to play four more years and do it in-state, I couldn't ask for anything better."
and
"Zac is going to give you all the effort you can ask for," Bracco said. "He's talented. There is no doubt about that. His skills are there, but a lot of players have those in high school. What he's got transcends to the next level. He can shoot, and he works hard to make his teammates better. He's going to be a great player."

Listening to his coach, sounds like Swansey already is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home